26 Oct The importance of wine at the table, and more!
Wine, from the guest of honor during meals to ally for good health. Let’s find out its important role together! The wine has held for thousands of years an excellent place on tables all over the world. A drink that derives from the alcoholic fermentation of grape juice. It has been produced since the times of the Ancient Romans, who helped to spread the cultivation of the vine in all the territories of the Empire.
Wine is a symbol of tradition, culture, and elegance, and is consumed daily especially during main meals. Wine and food, therefore, represent two paths that go hand in hand, and which, over time, have been combined into unique art.
The role of wine at the table
The wine at the table plays a fundamental role during meals: it serves to accentuate and enhance the flavor of food, creating a pleasant harmony on the palate.
It is precisely for this reason that the right combination must be studied, deciphering the main notes of the food served (sweet, bitter, spicy, spicy, acid …) and combining it with the wine that has the most compatible characteristics. In fact, when a bite is ingested, the taste buds send particular signals to the brain that fade with the passage of time, making the taste of the dish less appreciated. The right wine comes into play here to “clean” the mouth and combines perfectly with the flavor of the dish, so as to be able to savor every bite as if it were the first.
The right wine-food combinations
- The wine-food pairing leads to a real explosion of flavors in the mouth. So it is good to follow some general tips to get the best possible combination without having to regret the glass just drunk.
- A dry white wine or a sparkling wine is recommended with appetizers based on fish, chicken. Or vegetables, while a light rose is more suitable with cured meats and sausages.
- With first courses such as risotto and pasta dressed with mushrooms, vegetables or fish it is better to combine a soft white wine, instead of with meat or sausage sauces a young red wine is recommended.
- in the company of second courses of fish, fries, or seafood, an excellent accompanying wine is an aromatic white or light rose.
- With the second meat red grilled, boiled or with the game is preferable to a glass of full-bodied red wine, while white meats like chicken better is a dry white wine.
- White wine is recommended with an inviting platter of blue cheese and fresh pasta. While red wine is more suitable with hard, spicy, and fermented cheeses.
- With desserts, there can be some pitfalls: for example, with panettone. It is better to combine a semi-dry sparkling wine, while with pies you can drink both red and dry white or sweet wine.
- Aromatic white wine is recommended with fresh fruit at the end of a meal, while red or passito wine is recommended with dry fruit.
Wine and health
The health benefits of wine, only if consumed in a moderate way, can be many. First of all, it has antioxidant properties that slow down the aging process and has a positive effect on cholesterol and blood sugar levels . Furthermore, it counteracts osteoporosis in both men and women and helps in the case of rheumatic diseases thanks to the reduction of the inflammatory process. Wine also acts by preventing cardiovascular diseases, decreasing blood pressure, and combining an antithrombotic and fibrinolytic action.
After having listed so exhaustively the importance of wine at the table, the best combinations to enjoy your favorite dishes, and the health benefits. We hope to have convinced you to immediately buy a supply of bottles of wine suitable for any occasion with the family or with friends! The perfect place to make your purchases is certainly the online reference point of the sector: Enoteche Piave. A company founded in 1997 that has transformed its passion into a real-life mission, to satisfy every request of its customers with a huge choice of wines, beers, and spirits.